In the UK, you can take automatic driving lessons to learn how to drive a vehicle with an automatic transmission.
Automatic cars are a popular choice for many drivers because they are generally easier to drive than manual transmission vehicles. With an automatic transmission, the vehicle’s gears are automatically shifted for you, so you don’t need to use a clutch pedal or shift gears manually.
This can make driving less stressful and allow you to focus on other aspects of driving, such as navigating and observing traffic signals and road signs.
To take automatic driving lessons in the UK, you will need to find a driving instructor who is qualified to teach you. At Rated Driving, you can simply type in your postcode and get one of our DVSA-approved automatic driving instructors in your area and find their pricing before booking your automatic driving lessons.
It is important to note that you must be at least 17 years old to begin driving lessons in the UK, and you must hold a valid provisional driving licence. Once you have completed your driving lessons and passed your practical test, you will be able to apply for your full pink driving licence that allows you to drive any vehicle with an automatic transmission.
It is a good idea to do some research and compare prices and reviews from different driving schools or instructors to find the one that best suits your needs and budget.
The instructor will teach you the basic skills and techniques you need to safely operate a vehicle, such as starting and stopping, turning, and changing lanes. You will also learn how to handle different road and traffic conditions, such as driving in busy urban areas or on the motorway.
To pass your practical driving test and obtain a full driving licence, you will need to demonstrate your ability to safely control the vehicle and follow the rules of the road. The test will include a practical driving test, during which you will be asked to drive the vehicle under the supervision of a driving examiner, as well as a vehicle safety questions test.
Benefits of taking automatic driving lessons
- Easier to drive: Automatic transmission vehicles are generally easier to drive than manual transmission vehicles because the gears are automatically shifted for you. This means you don’t need to use a clutch pedal or shift gears manually, which can be a challenge for some drivers.
- Less stressful: Because you don’t have to worry about shifting gears, driving an automatic transmission vehicle can be less stressful and allow you to focus on other aspects of driving, such as navigating and observing traffic signals and road signs.
- Suitable for all abilities: Automatic transmission vehicles are suitable for drivers of all abilities, including those who may find it difficult to operate a manual transmission vehicle.
- Suitable for certain conditions: Automatic transmission vehicles can be a good choice for driving in certain conditions, such as in busy urban areas where you may need to frequently stop and start or in hilly areas where it can be difficult to shift gears smoothly.
- Quicker to learn: Some people find that it takes less time to learn how to drive an automatic transmission vehicle compared to a manual transmission vehicle, so you may be able to pass your driving test and obtain a full driving licence more quickly.