To apply for a provisional driving licence in the United Kingdom, you will need to follow these steps:
Check if you are eligible: To apply for a provisional licence, you must be at least 15 years and 9 months old and resident in Great Britain. You must also be able to read a number plate from 20 meters (about 66 feet) away, with glasses or contact lenses if needed.
Gather the necessary documents: You will need to provide proof of your identity, such as a passport or birth certificate, and proof of your address, such as a utility bill or bank statement. You will also need to provide a passport-style photo of yourself.
Complete the application form: You can apply for a provisional licence online or by post using the application form DL1. You can download the form from the government website or request a paper copy by post.
Pay the fee: There is a £34 fee for applying for a provisional licence, which you can pay online or by sending a check or postal order with your application.
Submit your application: Once you have completed the application form and gathered all the necessary documents and payment, you can submit your application online or by post.
It usually takes about three weeks to process a provisional licence application. If your application is successful, you will receive your provisional licence by post.
You can start taking driving lessons as soon as you receive your licence, but you cannot take the driving test until you are at least 17 years and 6 months old.
- You must be at least 15 years and 9 months old and a resident of Great Britain to apply for a provisional driving licence.
- Gather necessary documents, such as a valid passport or national identity card and proof of your address.
- Apply online through the government’s website or fill in a D1 application form and send it to the DVLA along with your documents and fee.
- Wait for your licence, which will be sent by post.
- Once you have your provisional licence, you can start learning to drive with a qualified driver and display “L” plates on your car.